How Authoritarian/Libertarian Are You?
The Political Compass doesn’t just go right and left… it also goes across. So where on the other axis do your political views fall? Are you in favor of a strong, centralized government? Or perhaps you’re more a fan of civil liberties and a stripped-down approach? Go ahead and take this quiz to find out how Authoritarian/Libertarian you are!
In the aftermath of a terrorist attack, do you believe heightened security is necessary to keep the nation safe?
- Heightened security means sacrificing freedoms, which is unacceptable.
- Increased security is justifiable in times of crisis
- There must be a balance so our rights are not violated
- I'm okay giving up some rights if it means I'm safe
If your neighbors are breaking the law by owning too many pets, would you report them to the police?
- Rules are rules. If you break the law, I call the cops!
- Only if the pets were really bothering me
- I would approach them about it first, but if they don't listen... I'm reporting them
- No, I don't care what someone does on their own property
Pick one quality you'd most prefer your children to have:
- Good manners
Should the government be allowed to monitor its citizens at the expense of personal privacy?
- Only when the terror threat is really high
- I follow the law, so I've got nothing to worry about
- Never ever ever!
- Only citizens under suspicion of illegal activity
Do you believe civil disobedience is good for the country?
- Rebellion strengthens the nation
- Riots and protests are bad for the nation
- Protesters are annoying; I wish they'd get a job already!
- If people don't like the laws, elect new leaders. Stop whining about it!
Are progressive platforms such as same-sex marriage, marijuana decriminalization, and prison reform heading the country in the right direction?
- The next president needs to repeal same-sex marriage and enforce the current drug laws
- Our country is heading in a sinful direction
- All of these are landmark victories for individual rights!
- I'm nervous about any sort of radical change, especially with drugs and prison!
If you strongly disagree with a rule or policy, do you think it's ever OK to break the rules?
- Occasionally, but don't make a habit out of it
- The world would be a better place if everyone followed the rules
- I pride myself on how well I follow orders and take direction
- Stand up for what you believe in, even if it's against the rules
Would you feel safer in your daily life with a strong, charismatic leader in charge?
- We need to put a strong person in charge
- We need virtually no government, with a hands-off leader
- We need an established politician who knows how the system works
- We need to choose whoever represents the voice of the people!