How Useful Are You In An Emergency?
Emergencies happen, from a simple wetting of the pants to an all-out five-alarm disaster. Some people lead, some people follow, some people get out of the way, and some people just make things worse. Let’s hope nothing too serious happens to you any time soon, but just in case it does, it’s good to know: how useful are YOU in an emergency?
First off, how worried are you about emergencies?
- Bad things will happen — I'm more worried about being caught unprepared
- I try not to think about it
- Not worried — I always land on my feet
- I am constantly terrified of everything
You're walking into your office, and see a man running toward you and screaming to call 9-1-1. You...
- Call 9-1-1
- Run to see if anyone needs help
- Start screaming and run away!
- Ask him what the emergency is, then decide
Can you lift a person your size?
- Yeah, I got this!
- Yeah, and someone much bigger, too
- I can't even lift myself
- No, but I can take care of myself
Lifesaving is mostly...
- Keeping composure
Your friend falls off her bicycle and is moaning in pain on the ground. You...
- Pick her up and carry her to safety
- Tell her not to move, go check on her, and then call for help
- Keep on biking, first one to the finish line wins!
You're in a crowded theater, and someone shouts "Fire!" What do you do in response?
- Move quickly but calmly out of the theater
- Try to find out if there really is a fire and then call 9-1-1
- Keep watching the movie; hey I paid a lot of money to see this in 3D!
- Shout it again to spread the word
You're swimming at the beach, and start feeling a tide dragging you out to sea. What do you do?
- Roll with it, and see where it takes me
- Swim as hard as I can to break free
- Swim sideways to the current until I'm free
- Yell to the other swimmers nearby "watch out, there's a riptide!"
When you see someone trip and fall on a city street, you're thinking...
- About how many hits on YouTube I'm going to get as I record it
- Somebody should really do something about that
- Whether I need to do anything
- I'm not thinking; I immediately take action