Only A Native New Yorker Will Get 100% On This NYC Slang Quiz!
New Yorkers are fiercely proud of their city, and they’ve come up with a whole set of words they use to describe everyday life. Only a true New Yorker will be able to answer all of the questions on this quiz, can you? Take our quiz and find out!
Share this on Facebook
"Bridge and tunnel" is a term used to refer to which types of people?
- Anyone who lives on Long Island
- Tourists on vacation in NYC
- Anyone who is from outside of the city, typically New Jersey
Neighborhood stores that sell convenience items are called what?
- Corner stores
- Convenience stores
What is another name for pigeons in NYC?
- Air roaches
- Flying rats
- Plague birds
If someone is "grilling" you, they are really:
- Questioning you
- Staring at you
- Hitting you
If someone calls you 730, they are saying you are:
- Calling from the wrong area code
- Acting crazy
- Not understanding the situation
What does DUMBO stand for?
- Down Under the Municipal Building Office
- Down Under the Metropolitan Building Observatory
- Down Under the Manhattan Bridge Overpass
What term do New Yorkers use when they are talking about carrying a lot of bags or heavy items?
What is the term used for hot dogs served from a hot dog cart?
- Mobile wieners
- Dirty water dogs
- Devil dogs
What do New Yorkers call a piece of cheese pizza?
- Plain slice
- Dairy slab
- Cheese and crust
What is the proper way to pronounce Houston?
New Yorkers never refer to train lines by color. What is the correct way to call out the train you are taking?
- By stop
- By number
- By borough
Where does upstate New York really start?
- Anything north of Syracuse
- Anything north of the northernmost point of NYC
Where are country houses in New York located?
- The Beach
- Long Island
What does "The City" refer to for New Yorkers?
- Any borough
- Any borough excluding Brooklyn
- Only Manhattan
What do New Yorkers call "waiting in line"?
- Waiting in queue
- Waiting on line
- Waiting in formation
What is a schmear?
- Cream cheese on a bagel
- A stain on your shirt
- A spill on the floor
What is a straphanger?
- Someone who rides the bus
- Someone who commutes from New Jersey
- Someone who rides the subway
What is the New York term for a sub sandwich?
- Meat stack
- Deli burger
Tourists may call it the Ed Koch Bridge, but New Yorkers know it as the:
- 59th Street Bridge
- Brooklyn Bridge
- Triborough Bridge
If you hear someone say "yooz," it really means:
- You plural
- You know
- You are crazy