Only A Real Chicagoan Can Get 100% On This Slang Quiz!
Chicago is the Second City, the City of Broad Shoulders, and the people who live there have a different way of talking and looking at things. Chicagoans are loyal to their city, their sports teams, and their neighborhoods. So take our Chicago slang quiz and see if you are a native Chicagoan or if you need to head back to the ‘burbs!
"Chicago mix" refers to which of the following?
- A mix of wind, sleet, and snow in the winter
- Cheddar and caramel popcorn mixed together
- A type of house party
If someone calls you a "Grabowski," they are lovingly saying you are:
- A middle class, blue-collar Polish person
- Someone who can't help but steal; a kleptomaniac
- A handsy person at a bar or club
What is the term Chicagoans use to hold their street parking spaces (usually with lawn chairs or other random objects) after digging them out of the snow?
- Concrete corner
- Dig 'em, park 'em
If someone tells you they are going to Jewels, it means they are going to:
- Go shopping for an engagement ring
- Go shopping for secret sales
- Go shopping for groceries
Who are Trixie and Chad?
- Mayor Daley's pet poodles
- Any annoying couple from a trendy neighborhood
- The local slang names for buses and trains
If you are going clubbing in the "Viagra Triangle," you'll be in which area of the city?
- Clark & Belmont
- Rush & Division
- Clark & Broadway
If someone asks you "Wet, dry, or dipped," they are referring to which of the following?
- How you want your Italian beef
- If you are sunbathing or swimming in Lake Michigan
- If you are rich, poor, or middle class
To true, die-hard White Sox fans, the name of their team's stadium will always be what?
- Guaranteed Rate Field
- U.S. Cellular Field
- Comiskey Park
What color do North Siders bleed?
- Hawks red
- Bears orange
- Cubbie blue
What is the name of the festival that takes place every July near the lakefront?
- The Taste
- The Chew
- The Sampler
Born-and-raised Chicagoans don't have living rooms. What do they have instead?
- Parlor rooms
- Gathering rooms
Kennedy, Ike, Dan Ryan, and Stevenson are what?
- Family names of the founders of Chicago
- The name for expressways running through Chicago
- Sandwiches you can get at The Berghoff
What is giardiniera?
- A unique Chicago rooftop gardening technique
- The most popular Italian restaurant on the South Side
- Italian relish Chicagoans put on Italian beefs and other sandwiches
This liquor is a long-time Chicago favorite, maybe because it managed to stay legal throughout prohibition.
- Jeppson's Malort
- Irish whiskey
Finish this phone number: 773-202-____.
If traffic is bad in the summer on the North Side, you might ask if there is one of these going on:
- Hawks game
- Bulls Game
- Cubs game
What do locals call Lake Shore Drive?
- Traffic buster road
- Long street drive
Which train brings hordes of suburbanites into the city on weekends?
After a night of drinking and dancing at your favorite bars, you and your friends will head here for a 2:00 a.m. snack.
- Jack in the Box
- Golden Waffle
An order of tips and links always comes with:
- Rib tips, hot links, and crackers
- Rib tips, hot links, and a buttermilk biscuit
- Rib tips, hot links, and a piece of white bread