Only A True Southerner Knows All These Southern Slang Terms!
People from the south just have a whole other way of speaking. From different pronunciations to peculiar phrases, the language of the southern states is sometimes difficult for outsiders to understand. Have you ever counted your chickens before they hatched or barked up the wrong tree? Take our quiz to see if you are a true southerner or if you are a Yankee in a world full of southern belles. You might be surprised at just how many of these expressions you know!
If you are told you are "acting ugly," it really means you are:
- Not dressed appropriately for church or school
- Disheveled or messy
- Misbehaving or being downright rude
If you are invited to go "muddin," you are really being invited to:
- Go on a pig chase in the rain
- Race pickup trucks or other off-road vehicles in the mud
- Attend a mud wrestling event
In the south, breakfast is breakfast, lunch is lunch, but dinner is called what?
- Principle meal
- Chow time
If you order a Coke in a restaurant down south, you are really ordering what?
- Any soft drink
- Sweet tea
What does it mean when someone says, "fixin' to?"
- Getting ready to do something
- Repairing something, such as a car
- Correcting someone who is wrong
If someone says you are walking in high cotton, they really mean you are:
- Prosperous, successful
- Working on a farm
- In danger
When someone says "bless your heart," they might really mean which of the following?
- A feeling of love
- A polite insult
- A religious blessing
What is a remote control usually called down south?
If someone is being ornery, they are really doing what?
- Stubborn, up to no good
- Drinking beer
- Being shy or quiet
If someone is "as funny as all get out," it really means that they are:
- Extremely funny
- Somewhat funny
- Not funny at all
The phrase "rode hard and put up wet" refers to which of the following?
- Someone who is an avid horseback rider
- Someone who looks like they've had a rough life
- Someone who just got out of the shower
If someone tells a child they are going to "tan your hide," they are planning to do what?
- Give the child a treat
- Take the child horseback riding
- Give the child a spanking
"That dog won't hunt" is another way of saying:
- Someone is being lazy
- That's not going to work
- It's a shame
If someone is "pitching a fit," they are:
- Causing a commotion
- Getting ready to play
- Trying on clothes
Something that is cattywampus is:
- Crooked or askew
- Across the corner, diagonally
If someone is as "fat as a tick," they:
- Gained a lot of weight quickly
- Are full after eating a hearty meal
- Are wealthy and prosperous
If you are asked to put the dressing on the table at Thanksgiving, what should you do?
- Put the tablecloth on the table
- Put a bottle of salad dressing on the table
- Place the turkey stuffing on the table
Someone who is referred to as a "spring chicken" is very:
Someone who is referred to as a "sight for sore eyes" is someone whom:
- You think is unattractive
- You are happy to see again
- You had a falling out with
If you "have a mind" to do something, it means you:
- Know how to do it
- Learned how to do it
- Are considering doing it