How Much Do You Know About The Civil War?
Who was the president at the start of the Civil War?
- Stephen Douglas
- Abraham Lincoln
- Andrew Johnson
Which state was the first to secede from the Union?
- South Carolina
What was the first battle of the Civil War?
- Battle of Bull Run
- Battle of Wilson's Creek
- Battle of Fort Sumter
How much were Union privates paid for their service during the Civil War?
- $7.00 per month
- $13.00 per month
- $21.00 per month
Which Civil War battle was the bloodiest?
- The Battle of Gettysburg
- The Battle of Shiloh
- The Battle of Vicksburg
The first paper currency was issued in 1862 by the U.S. Congress. What was it called?
- Freedom bills
When was the last man killed during the Civil War?
- July 4, 1876
- September 11, 1867
- May 13, 1865
What play was Abraham Lincoln attending when he was assassinated at Ford's Theater?
- Our American Cousin
- Yankee Doodle Dandy
- The Marble Heart
What did bounty jumpers do in the Civil War?
- Capture AWOL soldiers and return them to their regiments for a bounty
- Enlist and desert the military repeatedly to take advantage of the signup bounty
- Track down runaway slaves and return them to their masters for a bounty
The Confederate States of America had several capitals during the Civil War. Which of these cities served as the capital?
- Montgomery, Alabama, Richmond, Virginia, and Danville, Virginia
- Richmond, Virginia, Jackson, Mississippi, and Montgomery, Alabama
- Arlington, Virginia, Macon, Georgia, and Houston, Texas
Who was the president of the Confederacy?
- Andrew Jackson
- Jefferson Davis
- Nathan Bedford Forrest
How many people were killed during the Civil War?
Where did general Robert E. Lee surrender to General Ulysses S. Grant?
- Appomattox Courthouse
- Ford's Theater
- Gettysburg Cemetery
What city did General William Tecumseh Sherman famously burn down during his march through his March to the Sea?
Which abolitionist launched the raid on Harper's Ferry to encourage slaves to rise up against their masters?
- John Brown
- Harriet Tubman
- Sojourner Truth
How many states originally seceded from the North?
What was the official name of the Confederacy as a country?
- Confederate States of America
- Southern Confederated Union
- Free Confederated States
Which one of the following people was NOT an abolitionist?
- Frederick Douglas
- Stephen Douglas
- Harriet Beecher Stowe
The Battle of the Ironclads was a battle between which of the following?
- The CSS Virginia and the USS Monitor
- General Robert E. Lee and General Ulysses S. Grant
- The USS Constitution and the CSS Huntsville
A group of Southern operatives attempted to burn down New York City at the end of the Civil War. What name did the arsonists use to refer to their group?
- The Confederate Army of Manhattan
- Confederates for a Free New York
- Liberty Lads
What caused the Secret Service to be formed in the United States?
- The assassination of Abraham Lincoln
- Widespread counterfeiting of U.S. currency
- Uncovering Confederate spies in the North
Which state saw the most fighting during the war?
Why were northerners who headed south during Reconstruction called "carpet baggers?"
- They were known to steal carpets and bags filled with Southerners' possessions.
- They carried bags made out of used carpet to carry their belongings.
- They "bagged" the money they made stealing and re-selling items they found in abandoned southern homes, including carpets.
Which future president did NOT serve in the military during the Civil War?
- Benjamin Harrison
- Ulysses S. Grant
- Teddy Roosevelt
The Civil War was the first war to have the press issuing immediate reports for publication. Many photographers were embedded during the war. Which was the first Civil War battle captured by photojournalists?
- Battle of Gettysburg
- Battle of Antietam
- Battle of Poison Spring
What did the Union army do to combat venereal disease among troops during the Civil War?
- Only enlist married soldiers
- Allow government-sanctioned prostitution
- Require all soldiers to take an oath of abstinence
The Andersonville prison camp was located in which state?
What years was the Civil War fought?
What was one of General Ulysses S. Grant's nicknames during the war?
- The Butcher
- The Equalizer
- The Negotiator
Which person declined an invitation from Abraham Lincoln to attend a play at Ford's Theater on the night the president would be assassinated?
- General William Tecumseh Sherman
- Major General Joseph Hooker
- General Ulysses S. Grant
Which famous poet was a nurse during the Civil War?
- Walt Whitman
- Herman Melville
- Emily Dickinson
Which of the following states remained in the Union despite the fact that it allowed people to own slaves?
In 1860, two states had more slaves in their populations than free people. Which states were they?
- South Carolina and Mississippi
- Alabama and Louisiana
- Tennessee and Georgia
How many months did the civil war last?
Despite being most closely associated with the Confederacy, the Confederate Flag was not the national flag of the new country. How many different national flags did it have?
To this day, the Confederate flag is given the same protection (from burning and desecration) as the U.S. flag in which five U.S. States?
- Florida, Louisiana, Mississippi, South Carolina and Georgia
- Texas, Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia and Missouri
- Arkansas, Louisiana, Tennessee, Georgia and Alabama
Who became president after Lincoln was assassinated?
- James K. Polk
- William Henry Harrison
- Andrew Johnson
What was the main cause of the Civil War?
- Individual rights
- Manifest Destiny
General Robert E. Lee's house is now a part of what national landmark?
- Yellowstone National Park
- The Washington Mall
- Arlington Cemetery
The Civil War essentially started and ended in which of the following locations?
- Wilmer McLean's farm
- Abraham Lincoln's summer home
- Stonewall Jackson's family mill