Only 1 In 50 Catholics Can Pass This Religious Quiz! Can You?
Where does the College of Cardinals meet when selecting a new Pope?
- The Sistine Chapel
- Holy Name Cathedral
- St. Peter's Cathedral
Which country has the largest population of Roman Catholics?
- United States
What does the concept of papal infallibility refer to?
- The Pope is incapable of making an error in the teachings of the faith
- The Pope is incapable of sin
- The Pope is incapable of making mistakes
What is a venial sin?
- A grievous sin that can't be absolved
- One of the seven deadly sins
- A slight sin that does not result in damnation
Which of the following is NOT another name for the Hail Mary prayer?
- Ave Maria
- Angelic Salutation
- Prayer of Saint Gabriel
How many days are there between Ash Wednesday and Holy Saturday?
Which religious observance did Jesus Christ participate in during the Last Supper?
- Good Friday
- Ash Wednesday
The Pontifical Swiss Guard is the military force of Vatican City. What is one of the requirements to be a member of the Pontifical Swiss Guard?
- You must be an ordained priest
- You must be able to trace your lineage back to Constantine the Great
- You must be a Swiss Catholic male
To receive the First Holy Communion, Catholics must first reach the age of reason. How old must you be to reach the age of reason?
How many pieces of silver did Judas Iscariot betray Jesus Christ for?
What is the name of the device used to sprinkle holy water?
What does transubstantiation refer to?
- The conversion of bread and wine into the body and blood of Christ
- The act of receiving the Eucharist on Holy Saturday
- The prayers of the Stations of the Cross
Pope Francis is the first pope to come from which continent?
- South America
The Advocate Diaboli or Devil's Advocate, used to be a real position within the Catholic Church. What was this person's appointed job?
- To look for flaws in the church doctrine
- To fight excommunications
- To argue against proposed saints to expose their flaws
The letters "INRI" appear on crucifixes in the Catholic Church. They refer to a Latin phrase that means which of the following?
- Jesus of Nazareth, King of the Jews
- Son of God, Father of Christianity
- He is Risen
In the Gospel of John, who did Jesus resurrect four days after death?
The Second Vatican Council, which convened from 1962 to 1965, allowed priests to do which of the following during mass?
- Allow non-Catholics to take communion
- Preside over mass the local vernacular instead of Latin
- Deliver a group absolution of confessions
Saint Christopher is the patron saint of all of the following EXCEPT
- Holy death
Who was the only Catholic president in the United States?
- Jimmy Carter
- John F. Kennedy
- Franklin Roosevelt
Which of the following did the Three Wise Men NOT give to Jesus?
How many books are in the New Testament?
Which of the following Sacraments of Imitation comes first in a Catholic's life?
- Sacrament of Confirmation
- Sacrament of Holy Communion
- Sacrament of Baptism
There are seven deadly sins. Which of the following is NOT one of the deadly sins?
Fill in the blanks: Our Father, who art in ___ , hallowed by Thy name. Thy ___ come, Thy will be done on ____ as it is in Heaven.
- Heaven, Kingdom, Earth
- Grace, Reckoning, Land
- Heaven, Spirit, God's creation
The Father, Son and Holy Spirit are also known as what?
- Holy Trinity
- Holy See
- Holy Patriarchy
Pope John Paul II was from which country?
Which group of Catholic leaders meets to select a new Pope?
- College of Cardinals
- Brotherhood of Bishops
- Cloister of Convents
Which of the following is not a name used to refer to the Pope?
- The Pontiff
- The Archbishop of Europe
- he Bishop of Rome
The pointed hat worn by bishops and abbots is called what?
Advent is the season of fasting, prayer and penitence in preparation for which holiday?
- All Saint's Day
Which food should not be consumed on Fridays during Lent?
Which day of the year are Catholics NOT expected to fast?
- Ash Wednesday
- Good Friday
- Holy Saturday
Where does the Final Purification take place?
What is a movable feast?
- A feast that always falls on a certain day of the week
- A feast that can be celebrated anywhere
- A feast that is observed in multiple locations on the same day
Which of the following is NOT one of the four pillars of the Catechism?
- The Apostle's Creed
- The Ten Commandments
- The Hail Mary Prayer
How many Popes have served as head of the Catholic Church?
Who was the first Roman Catholic Pope?
- St. Peter
- St. Paul
- St. Jude
How long should you fast before receiving Holy Communion?
- 1 day
- 1 hour
- 1 week
Which of the following is NOT one of the seven sacraments?
- Anointing of the sick
- Repentance of the sinner
Which of the following is another name used to refer to the Liturgy of the Hours?
- Divine Office
- Holy Book of Prayers
- Trinity Sacrament
Who is the Blessed Mother?
Which book is NOT in the New Testament?
What is the meeting of cardinals to select a new Pope called?
What color smoke emitted from the Sistine Chapel indicates a new Pope has been selected?
Finish this psalm excerpt: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be____.
- Thankful for it
- Glad in it
- Comforted by it
Who sentenced Jesus to death?
- Pontius Pilate
- Judas Iscariot
- Julius Caesar
On which day after death did Christ rise again, according to the scriptures?
- The 3rd day
- The 7th day
- The 40th day
Which apostle was also a Pope of the Catholic Church?
Which of the following members of the church are allowed to be married under certain circumstances?
How many popes have come from Africa?
Which of the following is NOT a defined Catholic dogma
Which people are said to be confined to limbo after death?
- Those who die in original sin
- Those who do not make confession
- Those who have not received the Eucharist
Which of the following is NOT grounds for an annulment in the Catholic Church?
- Defect of contract
- Defect of form
- Defect of faith
Any Catholic can perform this rite in the event of an emergency, such as when a person is in grave danger of death and a priest can't be located.
Who is the patron saint of Ireland?
- Saint Sabina
- Saint Nicholas
- Saint Patrick
The Feast of the Epiphany commemorates which event?
- The visit of the Magi
- The resurrection of Christ
- The birth of Christ
What happened upon the death of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Mother of Jesus?
- She was assumed, body and soul, into heaven
- She was resurrected in the same manner as her son
- She was posthumously ordained as the only female Catholic priest
What is Joseph, husband of the Virgin Mary, the patron saint of?
What does the Immaculate Conception refer to?
- Mary was without original sin and conceived with an immaculate soul
- The virgin birth of Jesus Christ
- Mary was ordained by God to bear his son, though married one earth to Joseph
What is an indulgence in the Catholic Church?
- A benefit bestowed upon members of the church
- A way to reduce punishment for sins
- A gift given to all who make their first Holy Communion
Only people between which ages are expected to fast on certain days during Lent?
- 15 to 60
- 18 to 80
- 1 to 59
Currently, there are 20 mysteries of the rosary. How many were there before Pope John Paul II wrote his apostolic letter Rosarium Virginis Mariae?