Are You A Good Son Or Daughter?
Have you ever forgotten your parents' birthdays?
- NO! Never!
- I have... unfortunately
- I don't believe it's my job to remember birthdays
Your mother (or father) has bought you an ugly sweater for the holidays. What happens next?
- I gently let them know that it isn't my style so they don't make the same mistake twice
- I bury it in my closet for a while and then toss it in the trash
- I wear it a couple times - but only if they are around!
- I integrate it into my wardrobe, because it's the thought that counts
What is or would be the hardest part about living far away from your parents?
- The fear that I can't be there for them whenever something goes wrong
- The fear that they can't be there for me whenever something goes wrong
- What's hard about it?
- The lack of regular face to face contact
When you were a child, did you break a lot of your parents' rules?
- Only the ones I don't regret breaking!
- Yes, I was a bit of a whirlwind that way.
- Rules are meant to be broken. Otherwise no one would ever have any fun.
- No, I paid attention to the rules because I understood them.
- No, I wouldn't want to disappoint my parents.
What is the best thing a parent can do for their kid?
- Provide emotional support
- Provide financial support
- Encourage independent, critical thinking
- Bail them out of trouble
Imagine that you're on a road trip with your parents. You stop at a small town and there is only one hotel room available with a double bed. Your parents are exhausted. Who sleeps on the floor?
- Not me
- No one... I'll figure out a way to get us all a bed, even if I have to drive myself to the next town
- I would never, ever go on a road trip with my parents. Ugh.
No one is perfect - including your parents. When your parents are spouting off about some nonsense and you have proof that they are dead-wrong, what do you do?
- I gently correct them
- I start yelling a lot
- I let it slide - it's more important to keep everyone happy than be "right" all the time!
- I let them know that they are morons. Over and over again.
Do you listen to the advice that your parents give?
- I take it into consideration and then make up my own mind
- Not really...
- No way. They don't understand me.
- I hang on to every word... they often know best
If you could use just one of these words to describe how you view your parents, what would it be?