Euphemism Quiz: Which of These Are Actual Euphemisms?
What is a euphemism that describes someone who is stepping outside their fashion comfort zone and trying new looks?
- Rocking the capris
- Sharing the glitter
- Donning the fedora
- Losing your eyes
How would you go about describing someone with much lower intelligence than most others?
- Not the sharpest pencil in the box
- They are getting on
- They are on the streets
- Eat at the small table
What is a nicer way to fire an employee without having to use such harsh phrasing?
- Just let yourself go
- You've been made redundant
- It is time to eat at Waffle House
- Go get to the bus stop
Since people hate dealing with the death of a loved one, it's always easier to use which euphemism to describe death?
- They are rocking in Nashville
- They are reading the blueprints
- They are no longer accessible
- They have met their maker
When someone asks for feedback on a project, instead of telling them it was just plain awful, what could you say?
- You could use fewer commas
- Bullets with butterfly wings never fly
- It needs to be dipped in a time machine
- It left a lot to be desired
When you're having money problems, a better way of telling someone you're broke is to use what euphemism?
- We will be eating Ramen for the time being
- We are having a temporary negative cash flow
- Christmas is postponed
- It is time to downgrade our lives
When someone doesn't want to say they're drinking beer or liquor in front of children, they use what phrase?
- Expired soda
- Orange juice
- Adult beverages
- Carbonated floppy juice
Since calling someone a liar is considered harsh, you can ease the pain by saying what euphemism instead?
- They were economical with the truth
- They tend to leave out the best parts
- They always read outside the margins
- They live on a broken record
If you were to ride a roller coaster right after eating a big meal, what euphemism would you use?
- Rediscovered Jesus
- Lose your lunch
- Bit the farm
- Fell off the tractor
Finally, when describing someone who is pregnant, you can always go with this more vulgar euphemism.
- She needs a new wardrobe
- She will be up all night
- She is going to the clinic
- She is knocked up
Get new quizzes every day. Like us on Facebook!
The definition of a euphemism is to use a less offensive word or phrase, like a safe word, that is less harsh and is considered to be a nicer way of saying it. For example, older women who like to date younger men are called cougars, which is a euphemism.
Another way to use a euphemism might be when you're describing something disgusting and you just don't want to repeat the more offensive word or phrase. It's a safe way to describe something to people without offending anyone, and it's used much more often in everyday language than most people realize.