How Good Are Your Grammar?
What is grammar?
- An adherence to punctuation and capitalization
- An adherence to language system and structure
- The effect of phonology on a sentence
What should be the title of this quiz?
- How Good Are Your Grammars?
- How Good Is Your Grammars?
- How Good Is Your Grammar?
The experiment failed, it had been left unobserved for too long.
- A non-binding sentence
- A sprawl sentence
- A choppy sentence
- A run-on sentence
Which is the proper presentation of the February holiday honoring past U.S. presidents?
- Presidents’ Day
- President’s Day
- Presidents Day
- President Day
Which of the following is NOT one of the eight parts of speech?
“Affect” and “effect” is confusing to many. Which sentence below is correct?
- What affect did the loss have on the team?
- How does the crime rate effect hiring levels by local police forces?
- Brad tried reasoning with the loud passenger, but his words had little affect.
- The professor was clear that late papers would affect grades.
Which of the following sentences is a fragment?
- Hank, a puppeteer who loved entertaining in front of young audiences.
- A puppeteer who loved entertaining young audiences.
- None of the above.
- All of the above, including this one.
Which sentence below is a good example of bad syntax?
- It was a dark and stormy night.
- The night was dark and stormy.
- The dark night was stormy.
- Stormy dark night was the and.
Choose a sentence below that demonstrates parallel sentence structure.
- Young Greg liked his cereal with milk and strawberries.
- Young Greg liked his cereal with milk, and then some strawberries.
- Young Greg liked his cereal with milk. He would also add strawberries.
- Young Greg liked his cereal. He would add milk. And add strawberries.
Which sentence is left with a dangling modifier?
- Meticulous and punctual, Taylor has an admirable work ethic.
- Hungry, we devoured the leftover pizza.
- With a sigh of disappointment, the expensive item was returned to the shelf.