Only A True Southerner Knows All These Southern Slang Terms!
If you are told you are "acting ugly," it really means you are:
- Not dressed appropriately for church or school
- Disheveled or messy
- Misbehaving or being downright rude
If you are invited to go "muddin," you are really being invited to:
- Go on a pig chase in the rain
- Race pickup trucks or other off-road vehicles in the mud
- Attend a mud wrestling event
In the south, breakfast is breakfast, lunch is lunch, but dinner is called what?
- Principle meal
- Chow time
If you order a Coke in a restaurant down south, you are really ordering what?
- Any soft drink
- Sweet tea
What does it mean when someone says, "fixin' to?"
- Getting ready to do something
- Repairing something, such as a car
- Correcting someone who is wrong
If someone says you are walking in high cotton, they really mean you are:
- Prosperous, successful
- Working on a farm
- In danger
When someone says "bless your heart," they might really mean which of the following?
- A feeling of love
- A polite insult
- A religious blessing
What is a remote control usually called down south?
If someone is being ornery, they are really doing what?
- Stubborn, up to no good
- Drinking beer
- Being shy or quiet
If someone is "as funny as all get out," it really means that they are:
- Extremely funny
- Somewhat funny
- Not funny at all
The phrase "rode hard and put up wet" refers to which of the following?
- Someone who is an avid horseback rider
- Someone who looks like they've had a rough life
- Someone who just got out of the shower
If someone tells a child they are going to "tan your hide," they are planning to do what?
- Give the child a treat
- Take the child horseback riding
- Give the child a spanking
"That dog won't hunt" is another way of saying:
- Someone is being lazy
- That's not going to work
- It's a shame
If someone is "pitching a fit," they are:
- Causing a commotion
- Getting ready to play
- Trying on clothes
Something that is cattywampus is:
- Crooked or askew
- Across the corner, diagonally
If someone is as "fat as a tick," they:
- Gained a lot of weight quickly
- Are full after eating a hearty meal
- Are wealthy and prosperous
If you are asked to put the dressing on the table at Thanksgiving, what should you do?
- Put the tablecloth on the table
- Put a bottle of salad dressing on the table
- Place the turkey stuffing on the table
Someone who is referred to as a "spring chicken" is very:
Someone who is referred to as a "sight for sore eyes" is someone whom:
- You think is unattractive
- You are happy to see again
- You had a falling out with
If you "have a mind" to do something, it means you:
- Know how to do it
- Learned how to do it
- Are considering doing it