What Should Your College Major Be?
It's 4 AM and you get into a really serious conversation with your friends. What's it about?
- Who skipped more classes
- The meaning of life
- How to get ahead in the world
- How to make a difference in the world
Drama! Your friend is going through a tough breakup. What do you do?
- Listen quietly
- Look up the number of single people in the world, let them know there are other fish in the sea!
- Get them to express their deepest emotions
- Tell them to put their energy somewhere productive
You have to give a huge presentation! How did you prepare?
- Made handouts, slides, and flowcharts
- ...I'm just gonna wing it
- Spent the night double checking every piece of data for perfection
- Put on my best outfit and warmed up my vocal cords
- Thought long and hard about what the audience would want to hear
How do you do in front of a crowd?
- Good. I really thrive on positive energy and group dynamics.
- Great. I love being heard.
- Not so good...
- I would literally rather build a robot to give speeches for me than talk to a group.
- Fine. It just takes focus.
Your professor divides the class into groups for an assignment. You...
- Take a nap
- Divvy up jobs
- Ask the group what they want
- Take full control
- Spend five minutes listening to everyone's opinions
You're in an argument. How do you back up your point of view?
- Empirical proof
- Explain that it's just how I feel, and we simply disagree
- Lofty metaphors and comparisons
- Poking holes in the other person's argument with rigid analysis
How do you spend your time between classes?
- Oh, I don't go to class
- Chatting and socializing
- Hanging out at the library
- Fiddling on my laptop
How do you handle direction?
- Pretty well... but I have to bring my personal flair to my work
- Is the direction to stay in bed all day?
- I don't like authority figures
- It can be incredibly valuable, but I like to do things myself
It takes a lot of energy to earn a degree... what do you hope to do with it?
- Build something great
- Learn about myself
- Keep on top of a changing world
- Understand people
- Help people
You've got exams coming up. What kind of test are you LEAST worried about?
- Multiple choice
- Long essays
- Short answers
- Oral exams
- Showing up... I'd fail anyway, probably
- Physics. Math. Computing. As long as there's no Shakespeare, I'm set!