What Is Your Cooking IQ?
Can you identify this commonly used cooking instrument?
- Pasta Breather
When cooking on a stovetop, how can you tell when the skillet is hot enough to add oil?
- Touch the skillet to tell
- It's ready when a few drops of water immediately evaporate
- After it's been on for 5 minutes
- It's ready when a tablespoon of salt dissolves
Every chef is concerned about food safety. Which type of cutting board best avoids harboring bacteria?
- Counter tops
When cooking meat, many recipes require the cook to tenderize the meat. What does tenderize mean?
- Softly rubbing the meat after it's cooked
- Singing tenderly to the meat before cooking
- To pound or pierce the meat before cooking
- To handle the meat tenderly throughout the entire cooking process
What do you add to boiling pasta water to increase both the flavor and the boiling point of the water?
Every chef knows there are many ways to chop vegetables. Identify the "Julienne Cut":
Can you identify this cooking instrument?
Why is it important to let meat stand for 15-30 minutes before cutting?
- To allow the meat to continue cooking
- To allow the meat's juices to redistribute
- To avoid burning my hands
- To give myself time to finish cooking the rest of my meal
You should cut meat with the grain.
What does the "light" in Light Olive Oil refer to?
- Calorie count
- The amount that should be used